1906 - 1945
Singapore's first electric street lights are switched on.
Singapore’s first coal-fired power plant, St James Power Station, officially opens
Singapore's first traffic lights flicker on at Empress Place.
Singapore’s first air-conditioned cinema, Cathay Cinema, opens its doors to the public.
1946 - 1965
Singapore begins the Rural Electrification Programme, which allows rural homes in Singapore to receive electricity from the national power grid.
Pasir Panjang Power Station, which opened in 1953, is expanded in light of our rapid industrialisation.
1966 - 1995
Stricter electrical safety regulations are implemented in the wake of the Robinsons Department Store electrical fire at Raffles Place. These include requiring all elevators be able to return to the ground floor in the event of a fire, and activating standby generators within five minutes of any power failure to power essential and critical equipment.
Ulu Pandan Incinerator becomes Singapore’s first incinerator plant to generate electricity using waste.
Pulau Seraya becomes Singapore’s first offshore power plant with three 250 MW generating steam plants.
Singapore starts importing natural gas from Malaysia.
1996 - 2010
The Energy Market Authority (EMA) is established to ensure a reliable and secure energy supply, promote effective competition in the energy market, and develop a dynamic energy sector in Singapore.
Singapore starts importing natural gas from Indonesia.
2011 - Present
A micro-grid is launched in Pulau Ubin, incorporating solar photovoltaic technology to provide residents with lower costs, and a cleaner and more reliable electricity supply.
The Open Electricity Market is launched to allow household consumers more choices and flexibility when buying electricity.
A nationwide rollout of advanced electricity meters is announced, empowering households to use energy more efficiently.